SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION GUIDELINES / INSTRUCTIONS
The Port Aransas Police Foundation administers a Scholarship Program which provides Initial and Continuing Education Scholarships to qualified individuals who meet the requirements herein set forth, and submit an application in accord with the guidelines. Application for an Initial Scholarship must be made within four years following the candidate’s graduation from high school. Application for Continuing Education Scholarships must be made subsequent to, and within four years following, receipt of an Initial Scholarship. All scholarship applicants are eligible for an Initial Scholarship and three Continuing Education Scholarships. Scholarships are available to a child of a Port Aransas Police Officer that is a graduating senior of the year the scholarship is to be awarded and any graduating senior from Port Aransas High School that will be pursuing further post high school studies in criminal justice or first responder school. Proof of having been accepted into a college level course or certification program must be provided for an Initial Scholarship is awarded.
Scholarships are awarded by the Scholarship Committee, appointed by the President of the PAPF. At least one meeting by the Scholarship Committee is held yearly to review scholarship applications for the next academic year. Additional meetings are called as necessary by the President or by the appointed Scholarship Committee Chairperson. The funds for the Scholarship Program and the amount of individual scholarships shall be set annually by the PAPF Executive Board.
During the deliberation process the scholarship applications are carefully reviewed for, but not necessarily limited to, compliance with submission guidelines, eligibility, content, benefit, and merit. After all factors are considered the scholarships are granted at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee by a majority vote. At the completion of this process all the applicants under consideration will be apprised of the results. Those who fail to receive a scholarship will be advised by letter setting forth the reason for this decision. All applications will be retained for seven years.
To be eligible for a scholarship, all applicants must:
- Meet the academic qualifications for the scholarship being sought.
- Initial Scholarship: 2.00 GPA of a minimum 4.00 scale or equivalent o Continuing Education Scholarship: 2.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale or equivalent and have successfully completed a minimum of 24 semester hours during the last 12 months contiguous months of college attendance.
- Submit the correct application for the scholarship being sought.
- Complete the required application form in its entirety.
- Complete the application with a typewriter, computer or similar device (MUST NOT BE HANDWRITTEN)
- Sign or electronically sign and date the application
- Submit all required documentation and attachments
- Submit a brief narrative including information about your goals and why you would like the scholarship Submit (or postmark) the application to the Port Aransas Police Foundation on or before the deadline date (JUNE 10, 2021 – Initial); (June 10, 2021 —Continuing).
- If final spring semester transcript is not available by the deadline date, include a note explaining why and when it might arrive
- All information submitted must be true, complete, and correct.
All applications submitted will be considered for approval as prescribed by the Internal Revenue Service. Scholarships shall be awarded without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, or disability.